Effective Practice Tracker
The Effective Practicer Tracker is a systematic way to measure student progress, to communicate that progress to parents and to give budding musicians a vocabulary to help them develop effective practice skills.
WHY THIS RESOURCE?
Initially, this Effective Practice Tracker was going to be just a single post and to be made in response to a question that I posted in my Facebook group called Piano Pedagogy On and Off the Bench.
“Would anyone be interested in how I measure progress and how I inform student parents about the progress using some analytics and charts?”
Dozens of teachers were eager to learn my answer.
The post turned into this resource because I encountered a “big picture” moment when crafting my response to the question.
This is because I recently I listened to an episode from Tim Topham’s Topcast podcast featuring Anita Collins. One particular quote of her’s jumped out at me:
“We are breeding resilience out of our children.”
To learn more about how this resource came about, please read this blog post.
A thorough back story is included in this 15-page digital download.
- How I first came about rating student progress between lessons, and how to track the data.
- How Anita Collins inspired me to invite students to rate their effectiveness of their practice.
Two rating systems to measure progress and practice effectiveness.
- A 1-5 scoring system for rating progress between lessons.
- A 1-5 scoring system for students to rate their practice between lessons.
A spreadsheet for tracking the rating systems.
- Provides a place to track both teacher and student weekly scores.
- Includes formulas that provide data that informs you how practicers rank in your studio.
- Allows you to see who’s making the most progress from week to week with clever visual charts.
A video tutorial
- Shows how to navigate and edit the spreadsheet.
- Explains how to use the spreadsheet from term to term.
- Demonstrates how to create individual reports to share with parents.
Sample letters to parents
- Provides copy for you to copy and paste into documents as you choose.
- Explains both the teacher and the student scoring system to parents.
Effective Practice Wheel
- Graphics to print in two sizes .
- Instructions on how to assemble the wheel.
- Instructions on how to use the wheel in lessons so that students acquire a practice lingo and openly share their feelings and approach to practice.